Friday, October 30, 2009

Oct 29, 2009 - Ketosis

Ketosis is an amazing survival mechanism built into our bodies that enables us to burn fat for energy. This spares essential tissue when carbohydrate sources, which the body prefers, deplete. Fasting (water only) puts the body into full ketosis more quickly and more completely than any pseudo-fasting cleanse/diet method known, bar none. It takes on average two days for women and three days for men from the beginning of the fast to reach ketosis. If you want to spare protein, you need to get into a full fast as quickly as possible.
The first fuel source to be depleted is the supply of carbohydrates, followed by protein, then fat, then the good stuff, which I'll expain a little later. In the absence of food as ready fuel, the body quickly figures out that protein is more essential to the survival of the body than fat, and quickly switches to burning fat for fuel. You lose virtually no protein, even on an extended fast. You will no doubt shrink, but it is not difficult to recover all the muscle you want after the fast if you train, eat and rest properly.
Fat, however, is not the ideal energy source, reducing energy output, so much rest is required and time literally slows to a crawl while you are awake.
No wonder bears and other animals hibernate. What else is there to do in the middle of winter? Unfortunately, we have bears around our house that I swear have never taken longer than a 20 minute powernap between trash cans. And why would they? With such an abundance of 'food' and mild winters they can enjoy fine dining year round. When it gets cold, they migrate like snowbirds to the lower elevations and harrass my valley neighbors for a spell. This works fine for awhile, but I know what's in the average trash can and these poor critters are no more likely to avoid chronic disease than the people who filled the can!
But I digress....
When fat reserves reach a low point, guess what the next source of fuel becomes? Adispose tissue. Non-essential tissue. Cancer cells. Scar tissue. Lesions. Tumors. Arterial plaque.
abnormal cells. Who would not want to kick the living daylights out some of these bad boys?
So ketosis brings us into 'safe mode' physically and sets up the internal environment for incredible healing. This where we contribute. Our part in this process is to rest, rest, rest. Limit all stress sources. Hang up the phone, shutdown the tv, turn off the computer (obviously I am breaking this rule), pray, stay positive, and relax.
This isn't just lip service. When we physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually rest, we allow our cells to freely travel far and wide to search and destroy, knowing that the organs and essential functions are safe. This happens most powerfully when we have used up most fat reserves and are resting comfortably.
To varying degrees, it happens all the time. The less stress on the whole person, the more healing can occur. When we stress, the cells retreat to the core and stay there until the stress has passed. The essential function of the body is to protect the essential functions of the body! We are built for survival and our bodies will act in the interest of self-preservation. Never underestimate the power of full, uninterrupted rest.
So how do we know when we are in ketosis? Plain and simple - for most people, the breath smells. I never got hit too bad when I fasted in 2008, but I have even smelled ketosis on the breath of people doing the master cleanse. It is a very reassuring sign that you are where you need to be to begin fasting effectively. The best one can do is brush the teeth and tongue with plain water and live with it. I did not suffer too badly on the my 10 day water fast in 2008, but maybe that's because, in the words of one infamous character in one of the Austin Power's trilogys, "Everyone loves the smell of their own brand" - it's your stink, you get used to it!

I have highly summarized and generalized in this blog entry of my explanation of the fasting process.
There is so much more precise information available that better explains the fasting process with just a simple google search. I must also state that the best and safest place to fast is not at home, though many have done so successfully, but at a center where there are vast resources available and experienced professionals on hand who can supervise the best healing experience tailored to your specific needs and goals. I spent a considerable amount of time researching water fasting before I fasted for ten days in 2008, so I had a high level of confidence that I would do well for that length of time. But everyone is different, and part of the formula for a successful extended fast is being in an environment where you are safe and well cared for. I'm there now.

4 comments:

  1. I will definately look more in to Ketosis. Thank you for introducing me to this concept. Already I have found a link about it and information from ehow.com
    The human body is truly amazing in its abilities. Mind over matter; I will make the fat burn off of my chunky thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are taking it to the next level in your research. There is a great FREE book online which I highly recommend, 'How and When to be You Own Doctor', by Isabelle A. Moser. I could not put it down when I discvoered it two years ago. Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roy! I am reading your journey with great interest. Thanks for the book recommendation. I have heard of ketosis in two situations neither of which were very good: one was in connection to a high protein, low carb diet that was popular about ten years ago (more meat than you thought a person could eat in a day and tons of dairy products to go with it, with a few veggies on the side, but (oh no) not too many) - they said that ketosis was good becase it forced your body to lose weight. I had trouble sticking with that diet (for fairly obvious reasons!) and have associated ketosis with it since. Sounds like that isn't an accurate association on my part. Also we have had livestock and lost a pregnant female when she "went into ketosis". At least that's what the vet called it. Bottom line: I'll need to research it more because you're not describing any of that. ALL very good info. Thank you so much for writing about it.
    Hope you get lots of rest today and that you are really healthy soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yes, ketosis is a powerful process and state. Thanks for adding the good information - there is so much to learn, isn't there? My sister tried the Atkins diet some time ago, though she lost a little weight, I can't say she was any healthier for it.

    ReplyDelete